Text Size
  • Dulverton Town

    Dulverton is a town and civil Parish in the heart of West Somerset, England, near the border with Devon. It is situated within the Exmoor National Park. - Check out our shops location and street Map - Click 'Read More' & scroll down Read More
  • All Saints Church

    The original church of All Saints was probably 13th Century. The tower is the oldest part and contains a clock, which is around three hundred years old. - Click 'Read More' & scroll down Read More
  • Exmoor National Park

    An amazing variety of landscapes -including moorland, woodland, valleys and farmland, shaped by people and nature over thousands of years. Where high cliffs plunge into the Bristol Channel, and cosy pubs and tearooms. - Click 'Read More' for more views Read More
  • Heritage Centre

    The Guildhall Heritage and Arts Centre is located off the Guildhall Car Park to the rear of Dulverton Library and the National Park Visitor Centre. It is open from Easter to the end of October and with free admission it offers access to various local exhibitions which change every year or so. Read More
  • Tarr Steps

    Tarr Steps - The Tarr Steps are a medieval clapper bridge across the River Barle in a National Nature Reserve within the Exmoor National Park, A typical clapper bridge construction, the bridge possibly dates to around 1000 BC. The stone slabs weigh up to 1-2 tons apiece. According to local legend, they were placed by the devil to win a bet Read More
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Monday, April 24, 2017

Dulverton Town

Jul 05 2012

 

Dulverton Town

 Check out our street map and shops - click here

  Dulverton is a town and civil Parish in the heart of West Somerset, England, near the border with Devon.  It is situated within the Exmoor National Park.

It is still an unspoiled English country town with its medieval bridge it is Exmoor's southern gateway and lies in the beautiful valley of the River Barle.

There is a good choice of shops, inns and eating places in the narrow streets and is a charming country town with many attractions for the angler, the artist and those who enjoy walking in the countryside

The Headquarters (Exmoor House, built in 1855) of Exmoor Park Authority is located here, housed in the old Dulverton Union Workhouse.

The National Park Visitor Centre and Library are based in the former ironmonger's shop in the main square opposite the town hall. Live theater, craft markets and many special events make Dulverton a popular center with visitors. This has a medieval bridge, old-fashioned country shops, and population of only 1,300 people, it still has a quiet rural charm.
 
The name Dulverton was first recorded in 1084 as dieglaford-tun meaning "hidden ford"-tun. The Domesday Book records it as Dolvertune and suggesting that  it was a royal manor before the Norman Conquest. The town lies below the iron age hill-forts of Oldberry Castle, Mounsey Castle and Brewer's Castle
.

 Check out our street map and shops - click here